Marie's Adventures

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Santa's Lil Helper

Tis the season...
to be jolly. for family. for gifts. for trees. for lights. for snowman. for holiday cheer. and most importantly...for giving. It seems that from the end of Turkey Day till the last of the wrapping paper has been ripped off of the presants, we are overwhelmed with expectations and the sensation to give. We shop till we drop, searching for the perfect gifts for loved ones. Baking cookes for neighbors. Slipping spare change into the Salvation Army donation cans. It is part of what the "Spirit of Christmas" is all about, right?! Being in Senegal, I found myself reminiscing and recreating the holidays of yore. I miss the snow, being bombarded with images, lights, and constant Christmas music, the hustle and bustle of it all, but I have had a recent revelation. The good cheer, the peace on earth, good will to men, the giving-all the most important aspects of the holidays-are among me; especially here in Senegal.
I recently spent the afternoon at Daowda Fall's home. Daowda is a pharmacist. An intellectual. A father. A husband (of three wives!) A healer. A "man of all religions". A seer. Some say a "witchdoctor". Some just say doctor. I'm lucky enough to call him a friend, and most endearingly, he is a giver.
As we're sitting in his dimly lit room, and he is about to tell me what is in store for my future, a woman, a patient, comes in to say goodbye. Daowda, without hesitation, without prompting, pulls out money and slips it into her hand. I watch the transaction and he begins...
"You haven't been giving the sugar away on Fridays like I advised."
I was called out. A year ago I'd come and he told me that every Friday I needed to give sugar-no matter the amount or to whom-and I hadn't given it away for fear of seeming silly, or from simply forgetting.
"You see here, you have a lot of good things to come in your life but you have this barrier. The giving of sugar will take down that barrier and open all the doors. You know, we gain by giving. It is better to give than to receive."
This is a man who came to Arame with nothing and through the grace of something, he has created his clinic and home, studied abroad, owns a car, and at the same time is spreading his wealth. His office gives free consultations, and his natural medicines are free. People only pay for the western medication. People come from all over West Africa, and even as far as Italy, to wait and see him. Because of that, he opens his home, people stay the night (or week), and everyday he feeds those that are at his house. He advises everyone to give more, and to give something (sugar, dates, etc) one day a week. His giving is so effortless and truly has been 10-fold for him. The more he gives, the more he receives.
In fact, as a whole, over the past two years, I have discovered that giving is Senegalese. Not a day goes by that I don't profit from the generosity of someone. My friend inviting me into her home for lunch, my favorite banana lady slipping me a few extra, the stranger in the car buying me a cold creme during a long ride. Not a meal goes by that I am not asked to join, and everyone else in the proximity of the food, is invited as well. Nor do we not give to the young talibe boys that come to beg for food everyday. And this giving is just so ingrained. There is no complaint, no question...if you have it, why would you not give and share it with someone else?? It is so incredible and such a beautiful aspect of my life here. It can make it like Christmas everyday!! There is no snow in Africa this Christmas. There is no hot chocolate. No fat, jolly man in a red suit. There is noone ringing a little bell incessantly to remind one to give that extra buck, but, luckily, I do have Daowda Fall as my constant reminder of what I aspire to be, and to give some sugar to make life a little sweeter.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

i keep waiting for your next blog, but you must be busy as none has appeared yet. don't forget us, dear heart. love, mom

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home