Marie's Adventures

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Marie's Adventures

Marie's Adventures
SO IT FINALLY HAPPENED
after two months of excrutiating language classes, health classes, living with the best family in THies, I BECAME A PEACE CORPS VOLUNTEER! I swore in yesterday in Dakar! I even ROCKED the African wear! I found a fabric that was SOOOOOO MARIE IN SENEGAL! I felt so Senegalese and my older sister went with me. It was so exciting and sad all in one. The people that have become my family, my friends, and my support system will be scattered around Senegal or remain in Thies. It is really hard for me to think about, but I remind myself that I had those same feelings about coming to Senegal at all! HOW WILL I MAKE IT, i thought, but it turnned out GREAT and it will again!
I just had my last meal with my family here in Thies and am about to head to the PC center. It is my last night with all the volunteers and tomorrow I will head to Ndioum and I will arrive in Medina on the 17th! All very exciting and nerve wracking...it is a 10 to 12 hour trip! And I am not sure what to expect upon arival!!! I hear my family compound is HUGE at my site! I am feeling overwhelmed to say the least!
I just wantedt o drop thos note because I do not know how often I will be able to write once I am at site so know that I am doing well and thinking of you!!
ALSO
do NOT write to the address in Thies. I am no longer there and wont get it until I return here in late August! I will email my new addy when I set up a PO Box. Until then...email me!!!
LOVE YOU ALLLLLL the way to SENEGAL and back!

1 Comments:

Blogger Joan said...

Marie,

I LOVE reading your postings. They are so YOU. I can almost hear you "talking." I know it will be hard to leave your new family. It is surprising how quickly you can bond with people. I still remember my friends from Case (where I worked before Kent) with a lot of nostalgia. I'm sure that there be new friends to be made in your new home-away-from-home. I'll watch for new developments.

Love from JUS

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home